Monday, October 24, 2016

DIY Cruella De Ville Costume

DIY Halloween costume #1: Cruella Deville!

No way was I going to let this Halloween pass without a nod to something scary and Disney! Of course, I could have picked from several other Disney villains, but if I'm being honest, Cruella was really the most affordable and cost-friendly option for me. Unfortunately, I was so busy trying to perfect the costume that I didn't stop to take many progress pictures, but hopefully the written directions will be clear enough to make up for the lack of visuals.

Here we go!

You will need:

- A large white furry coat or shawl
- Red fabric
- Hot glue gun
- A black outfit
- A black and white wig
- Red gloves, or black & red nail polish

I actually couldn't find a white furry item of clothing in my closet, so I had to do some shopping for one. I didn't go out with high hopes. I would have been content with just a regular old white coat. But I couldn't believe my luck - I found the perfect white fuzzy coat that was super soft and fit exactly the way I hoped it would. I found mine in the bathrobes section of TJ Maxx. It was even on sale! I bought mine in a size L because I wanted it to fit a little looser than a typical coat.

Next, I measured out my red fabric and cut it so that it was the size of one side of my coat. That sounds a little confusing, but the picture below shows what I mean. You can cover the entire inside of your coat with the red fabric if you want, but since only the sides will be visible, I figured I'd just cover up the visible portions. Less work that way.

 As you can see, I cut my fabric so that it fit just nicely on the inside of the left and right sides of my coat. I seriously recommending splurging for fabric scissors. They're sharp and made specifically for cutting fabric without making those awful jagged marks as you go. Just remember not to use it for any other material than fabric. Fabric scissors cost a pretty penny, so it's helpful to make it last for more than just one project.

I have zero sewing skills, so my hot glue gun has very quickly become my best friend in DIY projects. I carefully glued the piece of fabric onto the coat. It stuck surprisingly well. I was initially worried that it wouldn't adhere nicely because of the material of the furry coat. You'll have to adjust the fabric as you go. Don't rush this process - since this fabric is visible, you'll want to make it look neat.

After doing the same to the other side of the coat, you're done! That's the main part of this costume, other than the wig. Then slap on some red gloves, or, if you're in a warmer climate like me, you can opt to paint your nails black and then add some nice red tips. Add some red pumps (or just any pair or red shoes, really), and voila! You are Cruella Deville! If you want to go the extra mile and add a cigarette holder to finish off the look, you can easily paint a straw black, white, and gold.

Here's the final look (minus hair and nails) :


This costume took all of 40 minutes to put together, so it's a great costume if you're trying to come up with a last minute costume for Halloween. Plus it's warm, too, so you can be comfy and cute! 

Have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment