Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Since when did 'unbiased' actually mean 'biased'?

I had a meeting with my roommate, RA, and head RA today. It was supposed to be a completely unbiased meeting, where my roommate and I would talk things out and discuss our conflicts in an effort to come to a compromise/resolution. I was willing to do that; what's a few tears here and there for a final compromise?


Apparently, my definition of bias and the others' definition of unbiased were two completely different things. The head RA was completely and totally sweet, offering advice and comments when she felt they were necessary. The other two, however, seemed to subtly team up against me. Whenever my soon-to-be-ex roommate would say something, my RA would jump in agree, and then continue to point out my flaws. During this meeting, I have been called:

A liar

Judgmental

Irrational

Unfair

Untrustworthy

My roommate? Well, the only things that were said against her were:

She is hard to live with.

That's it. I would have gladly been told that I was hard to live with over the pile of insults that I was handed instead.

I will admit that I am an emotional mess right now. However, I'm working on that. I came across a Buddhist saying earlier today, and it really struck a chord with me.

From now on, I will try to live by it. Until I have successfully done so, I will continue to fake smiles and friendships so that I can avoid situations like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment